Unit 1: Two Cultures

From reading Professor Vesna's "Toward a Third Culture: Being in between", it made me think about my standing as a south campus major. One thing from the article that stood out to me the most was the section about "Sharing the Language: Collaboration". It states that often times scientists and those in the science field are isolated from the movements of philosophy and art.

South Campus vs North Campus
Using this idea as a basis, I applied this thought to our UCLA campus as well. Our campus is distinctly separated into "north campus" and "south campus". The map of our campus shows that most stem classes are located in the buildings on the south campus side while most art, English, and philosophy classes are located on the north campus side. For me it takes me a good 10 minute to go from La Kretz Hall to the Broad Art Center. While it only takes me 3 min to go Boelter Hall from La Kretz. This shows that even buildings within the campus is separated so that its easier for students to travel within their area of study.

Reflection
University of California - Los Angeles MapOn one of the articles I read regarding north campus, it stated that north campus gives less workload for students so that they are given enough time to think critically about their assignments and explore the world around them. Although I am a first-year in the south campus studies, sometimes I feel like I complete things without much thinking or enough time to reflect and soak in the information. Although I have many interests in different subject fields, I am constantly held down by the overwhelming workload of my stem classes. Therefore, these articles regarding the issues of south campus vs north campus spoke to me and made me reflect on my past two quarters here.
Image result for stem vs liberal arts


















Works Cited:
Davis, Madison. "UCLA's North V. South Campus: The Debate Debunked." Odyssey. N.p., 30 Sept. 2015. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.
 Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.
Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print. 
"University of California - Los Angeles Map - Los Angeles California." Los Angeles California Mappery. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Apr. 2017.
Zymet, Salem. "Lighter Workload for North Campus Students Provides Flexibility to Explore, Critically Think about Real-world Issues." Daily Bruin. N.p., 3 Mar. 2011. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.

Comments