Event 3: Eli Joteva Exhibition

On May 9th, I attended the exhibition hosted by Eli Joteva which was a topic on memory, passing of time, and dreaming. She demonstrated this abstract art through melting sculptures known as "cryo-sculptures". These were round, frozen ice balls that were hanging with a rope. A bowl was underneath these sculptures to hold the water that eventually dropped as the balls slowly melted over time. Each cryo-sculpture was made up of flowers, plants, and other organic nature wastes. She had three presented sculptures and symbolized it into three stages of past, present, and future. The exhibition room was very dim and full of dripping water noises to show that the frozen balls were melting every second. I was very confused at first on the purpose or meaning of this exhibition until I met with the artist herself.
Basically, she made a visual representation of the brain waves by using the blue spectrum light that was reflected on the white wall when we walked in. The VR headset that I got to try on showed 3D spheres of the sculptures everywhere I looked, but the interesting part of it was the fact that they were in grey. It seemed to display the visual representation of how the frozen spheres will turn out once everything is melted away. The message of this was that nothing lasts forever. Today will be long gone once we enter the next day. It's as if Joteva is illustrating this by the spheres slowly melting with only the core remnants which may symbolize that only memories will be left in the end.


This made me reflect on my life in general. I feel like I don't make the most out of each day and I find myself sometimes wasting a brand new day. The art exhibition seemed like it was criticizing me in these aspects of my life where the day I wasted today will never be given again. The opportunities that I could have seized today may never come back. It also made me connect back to our topic of science tech + art, and how amazing Joteva incorporated psychology of dreams into her art. The way she explained an abstract topic of dreams and memories into frozen nature balls was just mind blowing. I wish I had the opportunity to visit the exhibition on the last day when everything was melted, but at the same time I was glad I got to see the day 1 product before it all melted. I definitely recommend this to anyone. Literally anyone that has the time to even go glance at it for a quick minute. 

Comments